Edira

 

1 June 2072

 

Dear man.

I am woman.

 

I cannot speak, they think I cannot write. But I am woman.



I am the maker to your magic, without me you are no one.

 

I felt the dust swirl around my feet as I entered the workshop. The stench of the air making my toenails curl into the earth.  The particles of women crying, flowing down my lungs as I grasp my new reality. Never had I seen a bed used before, not the ones I made. Since the beginning I made things, that’s how I know how to write. I stole books and took them to my cove. The cove was my safe haven. That’s what they told us this island was. I looked around the grey dusty room and saw no faces. only holes, long noses and screams. Man called my name and I went. He did not know my name, I am only woman.

I do not know what happened next.

I do not want to know what happened next.

Women tell me I do not want to know…

 




I walked back to my cove. My legs and hole started to hurt as I walked, I felt weak. I stumbled my way to the dark wooden door and grabbed the swinging handle. My stomach started to throb, so I walked into my cove to the tabletop where my monthly food had been laid out for me. Chocolate was the only thing that ever appealed to me at the start of each month. Which reminds me, I must find the special underwear for this next week.

 

Man, let me explain the life of women.

-woman                                                 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

15 November 2072

 

Dear man.

I am woman.

 

We exist.

 

I live on island. Only women and the mighty man live on island. You, man, live on world. Women supply your world. We make the food, the beds, the everything on world. Women don’t get the everything. We get what High Man gives us.

I’ve seen High Man himself.

He holds gun.

Gun holds power.

Power keeps women scared.

Maybe I am not women, I am not scared.

 

They call us women. We have no names. Only woman. But I have a name. My name is Edira. I learnt the name in one of the Hebrew books I made for man.

 

It has been the week after the month started.

 

The blood never came, the pain never came.

 

But the bump came.

 

Every day I was walked to the grey dusty room by mighty man. Put on bed and then man came. Sometimes the man had a different smell but once one smell left, it never came back. Every night I was walked back to my cove by mighty man, my hole throbbing. That was until the bump came.

 

Mighty man was directed to take me, woman, to high man when the bump came. It was celebrated, I was preg-nant. I never left the High Mans place. He told me I will be here until I have young man.

 

Man, let me explain the life of women.

-Edira

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

09 February 2073

 

Dear man.

I am Edira.

 

Being pregnant and living in the High Man’s place earnt me the role of human. Mighty man are gentle. The air is soft.

 

The other night my bump started to hurt. I cried out in pain. Mighty man came with water, lots of water. I was able to drink two cups of water. High Man came to visit. Woman listened to the bump and nodded at High Man. Then she was taken out of the room by mighty man, roughly.

 

Maybe I should be pregnant all the time so I am treated as human.

But maybe this is only because I have man within me, young man is human.

 

But I know that I am human. Man doesn’t know, I think High Man does. He is the key to man knowing about woman.

 

Man, let me explain the life of woman.

-Edira

 

  

 

 

 

 

27 March 1973

 

Dear man.

I am Edira.

I am Human.

 

Young man arrived and the mighty man took him away.

Baron, I named him, young warrior.

I hope one day young warrior sees this writing. Man needs to know about woman.

 

But now this writing is to High Man.

I may get written down in history by your bitter, twisted lies. High Man may tread me in this very dirt but still I will rise. Baron will hear my voice, women will become human once more.

 

Man, this is the life of woman

-Edira



Image sources :

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=EUAM6FCA&id=FED9886EC6C309237632ADE4B8B39E05318508E8&thid=OIP.EUAM6FCANPlXHvjxFbRi9AHaFj&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fi.pinimg.com%2foriginals%2f8d%2f60%2f34%2f8d60348c53a6ce61ff2a47f30d92a236.jpg&exph=742&expw=990&q=island+pobbole&simid=608045095961362702&FORM=IRPRST&ck=BD5C63965941216E2FF2264A9C94A455&selectedIndex=18&mode=overlay


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3387542/


[Information Monitoring] Libraries and Book History | [Veille] Histoire du livre et des bibliothèques. « Library Theory and Research (LTR) Blog (ifla.org)

 

Comments

Popular Posts